Pages

Thursday, March 16, 2023

Day One!

After 15 hours or so of flying in total darkness the sun made an appearance!  


I started out Tuesday morning (San Diego time) about 4:30am, 3 hours later my son picked me up and took me to the Airport.  Went through security, found the gate, (also Coffee!) and waited for the 10:30 flight to LAX.  30 minutes after we took off we landed.  It was pouring rain and every time I found a window it was still raining.  If you haven't heard California has been hit with a BIG storm (atmospheric river) every 3 days or so.  These are causing major flooding and mud slides and piling up yet more snow in the mountains.  California was in a major drought but I don't think getting it all at once is very helpful.  I know San Diego was greener than I have ever seen it.  Anyway, after landing in Terminal 7 I discovered that International flights are in Terminal B.  That meant I walked through Terminal 7, Terminal 6, Terminal 5, and Terminal 4 to get there.  I for sure got my steps in!  Then I waited, emailed with Chooky and my family and read.  Then I waited some more.  The Melbourne flight began boarding about 9:45pm (So that 10 hours I waited) we took off a little after 10pm. I did manage to sleep some of the way but it was not especially comfortable.  We arrived about 7:30 am Melbourne time, picked up luggage, and cleared customs.  (Chooky, you'll be glad to know I still have the canned pumpkin!)  My poor sleep addled brain had trouble figuring things out so I decided that staying at the airport hotel made some sense (especially since I'm leaving in two days for Tasmania).  I've managed to remain awake so that normal sleep might happen tonight.
So far I've learned that I want to upgrade from economy on my next international trip,  that travel pillows are not worth the trouble they cause (sorry Beth), that glass Coke bottles in Australia have twist off tops and that even the hot water is on the right not the left!

9 comments:

  1. Glad you have arrived down under safely. You will find a lot of things are 'back to front' to what you are used to, as we found when we went to the US!! And when you are on the road is drive on the left, not the right!! LOL! Looking forward to meeting you. Enjoy Tasmania, it is a very pretty place. Was always curious as to what canned pumpkin is like, I'll have to ask Chooky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a long way from and a huge flight isn't it. So glad you made it safely to Australia. Hope you catch up on some sleep soon and enjoy your travels. See you in 28 days!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are well into your adventure! Half the battle is getting there! Have a great time and post lots of pictures when you get to Scrub Stitchin' and know I'm very envious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks a long wait for your trip....... Glad you managed to stay awake all day....... You'll be fine in my house my taps are both ways....... Don't ask.....I have no idea why you would do that...... Can't wait to see what you get up to today.........

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds like quite an adventure already!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear that you arrived safely. You will find lots and lots of differences during your travels here in the land downunder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so impressed with your plans--even though you don't feel you have planned out everything. I hope you have a lovely time. And I hope Chooky will Zoom with us from Scrub Stitchin', so we can see you on Zoom--on the other side of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good to hear you arrived ok, that is a long flight and lots of waiting! Interesting to hear other differences you will discover while you are here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am excited to find that you totally blogged your every day! It may take me a minute to go through it, but I want to hang on every word. I'll back!

    ReplyDelete