Pages

Thursday, April 15, 2021

Spring catch up-long

Signs of Spring are everywhere.
It is still (or again) quite cool with freeze warnings at night.
Apparently, some big cold vortex in the Arctic is dropping south and leaving us very cool.
It's nice enough in the afternoons with the sun shining though.


I spend some time outside attempting to make a dent in these!
My backyard crop of dandelions-the front is worse, sigh. 
I'll never get them all.


On Monday, I had an appointment at the Chiropractor-my first in a year!
While on that side of town, 
I got coffee at Gusto - the only place I know of with Black Velvet lattes.
So yummy that dark chocolate and not nearly as sugary.
I also went to the plant nursery.
I bought some seeds for the veggie garden and some of these tomato plants.
Then I went to Lowe's and bought the rest.
I still need one more indeterminate.


You can see in the photos that the trees are casting shadows,
Not deep shade yet and the shadows are created by these:


Hundreds and hundreds-possibly thousands of maple seeds.
AKA helicopters.
The leaves are really small still.


The hostas in the back garden are up.
I was afraid I might have lost some but they all made it.
When you have that really deep cold you never know what will come up.


The lilac is a case in point.
It's a small plant.
This year there is only one blossom.


Lastly, my seeds are beginning to sprout .
These are all flowers for the front garden.

In non-springy things,
Since I passed my 2 weeks post shot number two I've been a bit busy.
I had the hot water heater worked on, 
it still needs a part so hopefully it will stop turning itself off.

I got my HAIR CUT!
I think she took off 8 inches.
Even the hair on the floor curled, sigh.
She did this scrunch thing and called it curls but to me it just looked messy.
I haven't attempted to recreate that.
I feel so much lighter.

I've set appointments for a new patio door 
and a visit to primary care for a post surgical visit
(not sure why but the surgeon seemed to want it.)

Hardly anything has been done in the studio.
Trail Mix is waiting it's borders, 
which are cut and ready to go.
I guess I'm not looking forward to manhandling that big, heavy thing.
I did cut some flannel squares for a couple of quilts for the littles.
I've been trying so hard to use up what I have.
I have made a dent but of course every quilt needs something bought to finish it!

Spring cleaning/purging continues as slow as a snail.
It is happening a bit each day though.

I will admit that I am struggling with the pandemic.
Even though I've been vaccinated it seems I'm slow to return to more normal
attitudes and actions.
Here's hoping that changes.

 

10 comments:

  1. Spring brings the garden to life and makes those green fingers itchy to plant and grow things. The weeds seem to flourish no matter what the conditions. I’ve never heard of a Black Velvet coffee sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I haven't planted anything yet! Just things coming up from last year and of course those plants that are considered WEEDS. A Black Velvet Latte is a Mocha latte using dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate. Less sweet and oh so yummy.

      Delete
  2. Hello Gail. Well I think we have all slowed down - those of us that can. And is that a bad thing - I have enjoyed more time to savour what I have around me rather than rushing off to this meeting or that visit. I can see the world ever being 'normal' again.
    We too are having frosty nights but pleasantly warm afternoons. Such a shame though for all that blossom that has been hit and the tender young shoots on a lot of trees and shrubs. The vineyards have been especially hard hit.
    I have never heard of a Black Velvet Latte!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I slow down any more I shall be stationary! I don't mind that part-usually. What I do mind is that my mind set is off. Life will never be the same and many are choosing to make changes, like slowing down. I know that I shall treasure time with my family a great deal more and that I will get out and travel more. A Black Velvet latte is a Mocha latte using dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate. It's SO yummy and not as sweet. Hardly anyone makes them here so a trip to Gusto is always made when I hit that side of town.

      Delete
  3. You've had heaps on...... But I'm sure you will settle into a new normal...... Not sure we will return to exactly how it was before....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm calling it the NEW Normal. Not at all like the before but it will be good anyway.

      Delete
  4. Thinking of you as your country moves out of where you have been, Australia has been so fortunate, and I know I won't go back to doing all the same things I was before, life will be different. Take your time and don't be too hard on yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While 50% of the adults here have had at least one dose of the vaccine there are MANY (too many) who are refusing. When they give their reasons it all goes back to fake news-I'd like to return to a time when our "News" doesn't come from Facebook! I'm beginning to see what I need to do going forward and once focused on a goal I move really fast! You've been very busy at your house getting ready for market. Stay well!

      Delete
  5. Wow - big difference from snow to green. Spring is back and forth in my neck of the woods too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next up tomorrow is 80F, it's like a roller coaster this year.

      Delete