Pages

Wednesday, May 31, 2023

Day 45 Flying Home

I never sleep well the night before I fly so I was up at 3am, fully packed and downstairs 30 minutes early for my shuttle reservation.  There was room on the earlier one so I arrived at the airport before 4:30am for a 7am flight to Sidney.  Checked in, sent two bags for loading and took my roll-a-board and backpack through security.  I was traveling Qantas Business class for the first time and there was a lounge set up with food, coffee, and comfortable seats to wait for time to load.  NICE!  

Once in Sydney we were herded onto a bus to take us from the domestic terminal to the international terminal.  Had to clear security again, this time I set off the metal detector.  Security in Australia's airports is never the same!  If they have the X-ray  detector I don't set them off but the older models I always set off.  I've learned to just tell them I'll set them off so they can call a female to wand me! This time I'm flying economy in a jumbo jet-even though I did try to upgrade.  The jet had been late arriving in Sydney and had to be cleaned before we could load, so we were an hour and a half late taking off.  I have to say the bad knees and my walking stick payed off this day-I was pulled out of line to board early several times.  Boarding this one was a lot of instruction, get out your passport, put your passport away, get out your boarding pass, etc.  I managed to somehow be on the wrong floor and had to go down steps-the stewardess did take the suitcase for me.  Lovely helpful folks.  Anyway, 16 1/2 hours later I arrived at LAX.  Had to pick up my luggage, clear customs (what an ordeal-NOT.  Took less than 5 minutes and that includes waiting in a very short line.)   I always book my flights with ample time in between so I wasn't affected by the late arrival but many people missed their flights.  I did have to walk the length of LAX with all three pieces of luggage to arrive at United for my flight home.  Thank goodness for those luggage carts!  I had to clear security again - that makes THREE times.  Check in,  and send off the two bags.  Found some coffee, food and the gate and then waited.  They asked for people to check in carry-ons and I had no problem letting them take the roll-a-board.  I was then down to the backpack!  

First of two flights to Kansas City landed in Denver.  I'm in Business class again-I may never fly any other way- but we had a horrible passenger on the way.  Made us all miserable and super happy to land at DIA.   More waiting.  Finally, took off for the last time.  A totally lovely flight even though I was totally exhausted.  Collected luggage, called for an Uber to take me to the hotel where I am staying.  It was midnight- no way I'm asking anyone to drive an hour each way at that time! 

Totally exhausted after about 24 hours in the air and maybe 20 hours waiting in airports etc. and I can't sleep.  Ah well, tomorrow will be in my own bed at my own house.  I am more than ready. 


6 comments:

  1. Been lovely travelling with you gail, great to travel, but good to get home

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have really enjoyed reading about your "adventures down under".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an amazing trip - gosh, all those flights! Well worth it though. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have enjoyed your travels too Gail, Always good to be back in your own home and bed,

    ReplyDelete
  5. it was a big thing with all the flight changes......

    ReplyDelete