Pages

Wednesday, May 31, 2023

Day 43 Warrnambool to Geelong

 Today I traveled the most dramatic portion of the Great Ocean Road.  Unlike other days there is a plethora of photos!  Places where ship wreaks occurred trying to get to Melbourne, the 12 Apostles - so called even if there are only 8 as the others have collapsed.  Beaches, a highway full of curves that sometimes is at the ocean but more often is high above hanging by it's fingernails to a cliff face!  All of it amazing!  I'm just going to put in a some photos here and let you envy me.









The Southern Ocean is brutal the way it crashes against the cliffs, eroding the land at 1 cm a year-slow but steady.  It is also frigid, as it comes directly off Antartica.  I can speak to its 
temperature after again taking my feet for a walk in the water at one of the beaches.  Seriously, how do they surf in that water!

The last touristy thing I did was to drive down to the 
Cape Otway Lighthouse.

 
It's a serious trek off the beaten path but I enjoyed it very much.  It is well preserved and tended.  There is also a World War II Bunker on the site and a lunch stop!  There is a lot of walking, so I only walked down to the light, mostly to see what kind of lens was in it.  I was delighted to see it was a Fresnell lens.  These are common in the United States and I was curious if they were also in other countries!  I've been up in lots of lighthouses so I didn't walk up the many steps to the top, nor did I trek up to the bunker. ( By the time I got here my knee was complaining because of all the driving and previous walking-it simply can not be pleased!) 

From here I headed into Geelong for the night.  Once again locating the hotel proved difficult and while nice enough I still believe I SUCK at picking hotels.  








3 comments:

  1. I have toured the Great Ocean Road once, and yes it's stunning scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the drive along the Great Ocean Road, I am glad you got to see it. We stayed in a camp ground near the Otway Lighthouse, lots of koala live there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to do the great ocean road.......

    ReplyDelete