Pages

Friday, May 26, 2023

Day 42 - Kingston to Warrnambool on Anzac Day

Bright and early this morning I began the drive to Warrnambool.
My first stop was in Robe--I seriously wish I had driven just a little bit further to Robe as it's a much nicer town than Kingston SE!  They had just finished their Anzac Memorial Service when I arrived and scored a cup of coffee.  I wandered about town on foot.  Speaking of feet, they have a lovely beach there and I stuck my feet in the Ocean for the first time on this side of the planet.


Once, I had done that I set about driving about town.  
There are 2 lighthouses here.  One modern one:


And, one historic one.



I wasn't able to get any closer as the road is closed about a kilometers walk from the car park. We all know that I baby my knees, right?
Once, I had seen Robe and knowing I had a ways to go I headed out.  Something felt wrong about the road I was taking so I turned around and went back to Robe.  I really needed to find someone to tell be how to get out of town.  I met a lovely couple doing cleanup and chatted with then a little while.  I was told that the way I had been going was the right way!  We parted after leaving our contact information as I had photos of the WWI Memorial here which includes some information of the Aussie contribution to the war.

Next stop, Mount Gambier and the Blue Lake.  I kind of expected to be disappointed by Blue Lake but WOW!  It is very, very blue and provides the water for Mount Gambier.
  



The locks around the railing were interesting.  Most had a date an initials, some had a bit more.  I know this is a trend that is occurring  all over the world and indeed there is a gate in Independence (my old home) that has similar locks on it, still I like it.  A tiny glimpse into strangers lives.

After Blue Lake, I drove to the coast and Port MacDonnell.  There is a lovely park all along the water front and a jetty to walk which I did.  Then I stopped in to a cafe and had Southern Lobster.  I'm not sure about them.  I love Maine Lobster and I expected to love these but no.  I don't expect I'd ever order another one.  They taste different (everyone says sweeter but I would need them side by side to tell that) and they have a different texture.  Mostly, I missed the melted butter that you drench Maine Lobster in! Some pictures of Port Arthur.





The next bit was well off the coast through National Parks-lots of signs about avoiding Koalas or Kangaroos.  Another sign began turning up:  two cars going opposite ways with 'drive on the left in Australia" printed below them.  Made me laugh, I'd never seen that anywhere else.
About this time I'd had enough of my cars little warning beeps!  I even told it to "Shut the f**k up!" which it didn't do but made me feel somewhat better.  The car is very small and I can not see the front end so I have trouble telling where I am on the road.  I can't park the thing either! So, beep, beep, beep. . . .
At Warrnambool I heard a different notice from the GPS--make a U-turn!  Ugh, I never seemed to be in the correct  lane for that!  I had trouble finding the hotel again, even with GPS, mostly because hotel signage was a bit lacking.  Again, it was virtual checkin, sigh.  I tried for several minutes to get it to work and couldn't.  Luckily, the owner/manager came out and checked me in.
Just let me say, I suck at choosing hotels!
Again, this one was nice enough and clean but a lot less than was advertised on line.

Only two more days in Australia, I'm half sad and half so ready to go home.  










 

5 comments:

  1. awesome photos gail....trip of a lifetime for sure...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to have to map out the places you went just because I love geography.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos and adventures you are having.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a very picturesque drive and wander about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the blue lake, that really is very blue!! Love your posts, sorry you did not like Kingston so much. SHould have come to see you there.

    ReplyDelete