Pages

Thursday, May 25, 2023

Day 41 Driving again--to Kingston

 I picked up my rental car (called a hire car here--just another example of the differences between Aussie English and My English!) at 10 am and managed to make it out of Adelaide.  This driving on the left is really nerve wracking!  Especially in an unfamiliar city.  I did, fortunately, have GPS today.  That has not always been the case! The area just outside of Adelaide is quite lovely with large, treeless, green hills,  Alas, no where to pull off and take a photo-that's the story much of the time when you are traveling alone.  I stopped at Murray Bridge for lunch where I spotted a large flock of Cockatoos flying together.  I don't know how many, 50 maybe, maybe more.  I couldn't help wondering what mischief they were up to, such naughty birds!  I enjoyed watching a ferry cross the river while I ate even though I couldn't figure out why they were crossing there.  There was nothing visible, I guess they had their reasons!

At Tallen Bend I turned south, having been traveling mostly Eastward before then.  Along the sides of Lake Alexandria and Lake Albert-which I couldn't see for the most part, but the map says they were there!  Once I hit the coast I was once again traveling East along the Southern Ocean.  I stopped off at Pelican Point, directly across from the three Pelican Islands, walked out to the actual point and watched flight after flight of Pelicans flying off towards the Lakes.


  The info-boards said that they were going to the place where the lakes meet the ocean as the fish would be confused by the salt water and were easier to catch.  They work in units to do so and sometimes use their wings to trap the fish in shallow water.  Birds are amazing-even the naughty ones.  

After that I went to Kingston SE for the night.  Spent some time looking around, spent more time looking for my hotel, spent even MORE time looking for dinner!  Most of the Kingston SE central business appears to be shut down, the few places for food were either closed or not cooking until 5:30pm.  So the grocery store provided a few things to eat once I found the hotel.  I did indeed find the place and was again asked to check in virtually for the door code to my room, this is the second time that check in was virtual.  I was attacked by gnats here.  It was clean and nice enough but this virtual check-in leaves a great deal to chance.  An early night to prepare for more traveling tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. All those birds. Something I love to see is flocks of birds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have gravelled through a beautiful area, did you see the big crayfish?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha - you should try the difference between English (the real thing) English and everyone elses version!

    ReplyDelete