Pages

Thursday, April 6, 2023

Days 15 through 24--Cairns

     I am horribly behind on the blog, for lots of good reasons and for the Not-so-Good reason that the I-Don't Wanna bit me.  I'm going to catch up by putting all of Cairns in one post.  There will be pictures.

First, I flew from Newcastle to Cairns with one VERY tight connection in Brisbane (didn't even get to look out the window!) I arrived in Cairns and waited for my suitcase, and waited for my suitcase.  It did NOT appear!  I don't think the poor thing left Brisbane but who knows it could have gone to Perth!  It was supposed to be delivered after the 10pm flight but it didn't arrive until the next day after noon.  I was really glad to see it as it had all my clothes in it!

The Holiday Inn here was really nice and upgraded me to a sea-side 5th floor room with a king sized bed!  I love the view from my balcony!


Unfortunately, while I waited for the suitcase I began to sniffle and cough.  Since Lea had exposed me I walked to a near by pharmacy and bought some Covid test kits.  Brought it back and tested negative.  So a cold (or I'm inclined to believe allergies!)  I felt pretty punny for a day or two but gradually I started going out and doing stuff!
Just let me say---IT IS HOT in Cairns!  My just off winter self felt like it had been dumped right into the Dog Days of Icky-Sticky August in Missouri!

Things I did:  Uber became my friend!  I went to Spotlight to replace the scissors that were removed from my carry on--I'm an idiot.  I went to the grocery store, two malls, and the night market.  Then, I went on the Magic Reef tour out to the Great Barrier Reef!


They have a glass bottom boat and a glass walled semi-submersible-I rode on both!  We saw three sea turtles on the sub, which is apparently a very big deal, the guide said they didn't usually even see one.  The one the glass bottom boat there was a lot of talk about the tribes who lived in the area and how they fished etc the reef.  We saw lots of fish (no sharks) and the gorgeous coral formations of the reef. (Coral shapes always remind my of succulents!)  I didn't take a single picture--I was too awestruck buy the view!  Most folk got in the water to snorkel or scuba.  I stayed on the boats--My swimming skills have nearly disappeared, I need to take lessons again.  It was a full day on the ocean and very enjoyable.

There was a day of rest then I took the Sky Rail up to Kuranda and one of the oldest rain forests on earth.  The Sky Rail ride was nice, there are two stops along the way with exhibits and a guided walk at the first one.  Once in Kuranda I went to  the Koala garden hoping to hold one but they were booked up.  It was crazy crowded!


This little guy checked me out carefully and even stood on my hand with a tiny paw!

I wandered through the shops-very much a place for tourists-and caught the heritage train down.  I much prefer the Skyrail!







5 comments:

  1. Looks gorgeous and I love the sound of the boat trips. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. other then not feeling well and the humidity it sounds like a great time in Cairns...........see you soon.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had a busy time in Cairns. The Barrier Reef trip is wonderful, so much to see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear you succombed to sniffles - glad it wasn't the dreaded C thing. The glass bottomed boat tour sounds amazing! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete