Pages

Monday, April 3, 2023

Day 11--Sydney still


Ice Cream on Pancakes!
I'd never had ice cream on pancakes but it was pretty tasty!

On the advice of the Concierge at the hotel I next went to the Captain Cook Cruises to book a harbour cruise.  They have a cruise at 2:00pm called High Tea At Sea!  That's the one for me!


This is the ship I went out on--more on that later.

Since I had about 4 hours before the cruise I walked past the Opera House and into the Royal Botanical Garden.

There's a lot of paved walking paths within the park.  One follows alongside the water for quite a ways-I only walked a part of it.
This tree intrigued me as it has lichen growing on the trunk.  Reminds me somewhat of a carrot all the leaves on top and the root exposed.


Lots of lovely lawn and no nasty little signs telling you not to walk on the grass-instead signs encouraging such behavior!  There's some of those crazy building blocks turned into ACTUAL  buildings!

 
I find these trees so interesting!  A Ficus Macrophylla f. Columnaris (or Morton Bay fig)  Google it there's more photos.


This is a close up of the same tree.  This tree has no central truck but many trunks that form from an arial root.  Each of the trucks you see once was a dangling bunch of roots that grew until they reached the ground and became a trunk.  Very interesting.  I saw a lot of them.


White Ibis were very common on the ground This pair in the front is adult and chick-the chick is feeding.


Some plant art!


Do you see the Whale?  Hint--his tail is on the left.

I visited the gift shop and left a few dollars there: another mug, a children's book on Australia for my collection of books to read the Grands, and a tote back which asserts that I don't need therapy but just need to go to Australia!  Not so sure about that!
One could wander in the gardens for an entire day but I do have other plans, so, I head back the way I came.
In front of the Opera House there were some young people doing a very nicely executed Kpop dance.  I stood and enjoyed it all the way through!  Such energy!


The Opera House and the bridge in the background.  I think this would have been on the way back.


This is the best photo I took of the Opera House~I think It will make the photos wall!


The setting for tea.  It was lovely but I wished for someone to share it with.


The crazy people doing the "Bridge walk!"  I did not attempt it.  My Knee has complained quite a lot lately and I didn't want to hear worse complaining--So--I didn't go.  Plus, I don't do well with high places, most especially those with edges!  I don't regret not doing it!

Once back at the Quay I watched this depart!

Then I headed back to the hotel to pack for the next part of the journey.


















 

5 comments:

  1. What fun you are having and great things to see. Love the unusual trees. Haha, grass that is actually meant for enjoying! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of lovely photos Gail, I understand your wish for someone to share high tea with, and think you are very brave travelling down under on your own!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had a great day out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great day for you, the pancakes look wonderful. Love those Morton Bay fig trees. I have been up the bridge, once you are secured onto your safety harness you feel quite safe up there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. its lovely around the harbour..........I do love the mortenbay figs.........definitely none here........

    ReplyDelete