Pages

Saturday, December 11, 2021

On Tornados

Yesterday, the United States had a massive weather event.  Or maybe I should say events.  I feel certain that most of you have heard about the tornados that roared through the night leaving death and destruction in their wake.  It did not affect me or any of my family.

A tornado forms when a cold air front hits a mass of warm, wet air.  The colder air is driven above the warm and sort of puts a lid on it. As the warm air continues to rise it creates a downdraft and sometimes a rotating air mass which drops out of the clouds and forms a funnel cloud.  The National Weather Service issues a Tornado WATCH when conditions are ripe for the formation of tornados, they issue a WARNING when one is sited either aloft or on the ground and give a projected "Fan" of where it might go.  Last night they issued a TORNADO EMERGENCY.  I have never heard of that.

Yesterday, tornados touched down in Nebraska and Oklahoma in the afternoon, Nebraska had one of two twin tornados on the ground.  Then after dark a BIG storm set up and the warnings came of radar  or ground sighted funnel clouds around Little Rock, Arkansas (that's about the middle of the state of Arkansas) then moved Northwest across Arkansas, Southeast Missouri, Northwestern Tennessee and into Kentucky. I read today that this large wedge tornado may have stayed on the ground for 100 miles-that's pretty unusual. I think the watches and warnings from that storm went into Ohio last night and then today dropped East and South through Tennessee, Northern Alabama and Mississippi and then to Atlanta, Georgia. I read that there was a watch from this same storm issued for the New Jersey area as well. 

At the same time a second storm set up near Columbia, Missouri (in the middle the state) and tornado warnings went flying out like crazy.  That one traveled Northeast, hit parts of St Louis (the National Weather Service people had to take cover as it was directly over them) then continued on into Illinois where it took out the Amazon Fulfillment Center.  I think the watches from that one went as far north as Southern Chicago.

Arkansas, Missouri, Tennessee, Kentucky and Illinois all reported fatalities.  Kentucky seems to be the worst hit from the southern storm as it hit a couple of towns straight on, they are anticipating 100 deaths (or more).  The storm that hit Kentucky has been rated an EF-5.

I have lived in Missouri most of my life.  One of my earliest memories of tornados is of the EF-5 that hit Ruskin Heights.  My Father sold lumber and so he was allowed into the area and he took us to see it.  I have never forgotten it and tornados terrify me still.  I can read a hook echo on radar almost as well as the weather man!  The most terrifying of tornados come in the dark when you can't see them until it's too late.

You can read more about this set of storms and tornados in general at The Weather Channel and if you want to see photos/videos of the destruction just ask YouTube.

7 comments:

  1. The tornados sounded pretty scary on the news Gail, one State Governor said the tornado travelled 225 miles, the longest ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard various lengths, we are waiting for the Weather Service to determine if it was one humongous tornado or several smaller ones and to rate it on the EF scale (I've heard EF3 to EF5). Last night there were multiple tornados and hurricane force winds across the midwest. We had a lot of wind here but not much else. At least my area did not lose power.

      Delete
  2. So glad you weren't affected. Tornadoes scare the stuffing out of me, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was only 6 when the tornado hit Ruskin Heights-there was no early warning system, no real knowledge of how tornados were formed and no radar! So the police went up and down the main roads with their sirens blaring and giant spotlights would shine at night. I remember following my mother around terrified! Such strange weather this December has brought.

      Delete
  3. It was definitely a natural disaster of a mammoth scale. We heard a meteorologist from the USA saying he had never encountered anything like it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard A LOT of that! Last night I heard more of the same as they tracked multiple tornados, hurricane force winds, dust storms all across the plains states (Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa and Minnesota). Had the wind here but nothing else. The poor weather guessers must be exhausted: first the Quad state tornado, then the huge snowstorm in California, and the last nights mess. December has really had some strange and abnormal weather!

      Delete
  4. they woiuld terrify me also Gail.........glad you are safe but I did hear about and and it sounded terrible.......

    ReplyDelete