Pages

Thursday, August 26, 2021

And now for a little whine. . .

Between Covid (I am coming to hate that word!  hence my "THE VIRUS"), Afghanistan (so sad in so many ways) and the heat


I feel like my petunias.
Heat wilted and half dead.
We've been under a heat advisory all week.
As an example-when I got up this morning at 6:30am it was 77F (25C) with 87% humidity 
Think sauna.
The heat index hit 106F(41C).
Even Quinn refuses to stay out longer than absolutely necessary!
The advisory has expired but the next few days don't look any less unbearable.
(The formula for a heat advisory is complicated, has to do with daytime temperatures, humidity and how low the temp goes at night.  I looked it up and it is Mathematically beyond me!)
I am tremendously thankful to have air conditioning!
Also thankful that my studio is in the basement-even though normally I hate that!
The heat is just exhausting so all I want to do is sleep.
That recliner of mine is getting a workout!
Now, that the whine is over. . . 
Wait, I'm drinking whiskey!
There was good stuff this week.
First, Scott brought Ryan and Izzy up for a visit.
They were driving him bonkers,
so a change of scenery was in order.
We had a ball!
Playing games, with the Granna toys and legos.
Scott and I got to visit as they were otherwise entertained!
Izzy was heard to say 
"I like this place!"
They took the Legos home with them!
Well, they were Scott's we were just waiting for Ryan to enjoy them.
In other family news,
Bonus daughter received a "No Change" Mamogram!
We are all massively relieved and grateful.


Monday's tomato harvest.  
I haven't begun eating them for breakfast yet but that's coming!
In the stitching realm;
I've added 70 (I think) more tumblers to the tin (I'm keeping a running total now  so 446) and  made some leader and ender twos along the way.
I've been sewing a little on my Civil War Sampler each day. 
It's hand pieced so slow but getting faster.
AND
I finally began quilting Trail Mix
My first attempt at "Big Stitch" hand quilting.
My stitches aren't perfect and it's slow going 
BUT
I am getting better!
Plus, I LOVE IT.
My Trail Mix is flannel and the rustic look of the Big stitch Baptist fans suits it completely.
I'm working on it a bit each evening.

Whining done.






 

12 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the heat. Enough is enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really, really hate hot weather! Cabin fever worse than in the winter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Considering everything, I think there was more positive news than whining. I can’t believe huge difference between your summer and winter temperatures. Wasn’t it lovely that Izzy liked visiting. You’ve still been very productive. I admire you for taking on hand quilting Trail Mix. The baptist fan pattern will really suit it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The heat is both a blessing and a curse! The blessing is that I have tons of time in the studio, the curse is well it's HOT! Izzy was last here just after her 1st birthday, she is nearing 3 now so she had no memory of being here-she did have a GOOD time!

      Delete
  4. Does us all good to have a whine now and then, super hot weather like you are having is just draining!! Great news about bonus daughter and your quilting looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you -that Trail Mix quilt will be done someday!

      Delete
  5. So sorry that you are having Sydney summer weather. It certainly zaps your energy. A visit from you grandkids seemed to lift your spirits. Fresh, home grown tomatoes - the best! Your stitching looks fine. It’s giving the quilt a nice texture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The heat wouldn't be so awful except it's coming on Fall and I want to be DONE with it! Summer isn't my favorite season-you can only take off so many clothes! Seeing Ryan and Izzy at my house was wonderful and I'm drowning in tomatoes!

      Delete
  6. I feel like you re covid and Afghanistan.... Both draining and seemingly hopeless cases.... I've been turning the news off as it's getting to much..... Goodluck quilting.....I need to give that a go also.... And how nice to have a visit..... Lego never dies..... Just your foot when you step on a piece.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shut off network news in 2016-just couldn't deal with whatever SH** 45 got up to daily. I've been reading the Washington Post but I'm ending my subscription I feel somewhat guilty for not keeping up but I'm very stressed by all of it! Ryan was thoroughly warned about the dangers of Legos on the floor-Scott remembers!

      Delete
  7. Tis hard not to be discouraged by the world news, thinking of you. We are all allowed to whine sometimes. YOur big stitch quilting loooks good, and I would be wilting in the heat too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days are better than others as far as how I react to the news, fall is coming --please let it be soon--so the heat will slowly pass. The quilting is slow but eventually that quilt will be finished.

      Delete