Pages

Sunday, January 24, 2021

Changes

 As the pandemic continues-some people are saying 6-9 more months!  I find it necessary to make some (more) changes in how I deal with things.

1.  I have to put on REAL clothes and not just hang out in PJ pants and a shirt!  So the jeans came out and socks with real shoes not just crocs!  I really want to go for a walk outside (well THE VIRUS makes mall walking dangerous) and I find that I won't change clothes to make that happen.  It's only taken 4 months to figure that out (October to now as I wore shorts before that) sometimes I'm dense.

2.  I'm not eating right.  I buy food and then I don't want to cook so I don't eat it.  I have been looking for a freezer for about 6 months but they are limited in stock (due to THE VIRUS) and the one I think I'd like won't be available until the end of March.  The frig freezer is full.  I have decided to just cook stuff, divide it into one or two servings and then freeze them.  That way I only have to take it out, let it thaw and sometimes finish it off.  Oh, and decide what I'm going to eat along with.  So, yesterday I cooked 3 chickens for 3 different recipes; Chicken and Strip dumplings-which I shared with the Eimans as it doesn't do well left over or frozen-that we ate yesterday.  Today, I made the fillings for both chicken enchiladas and chicken pot pie.


Each jar holds enough for my 8 inch pie plate.  That is two servings, maybe three each, so at least 18 meals.  I already have chili and sweet beans in single serving jars in the freezer.
While I was doing that I oven cooked this

Five pounds of bacon!  It will get frozen as well so that I can just pull out what I need and chop it up or warm it, Quinn might get a bite now and then as well!  She does love bacon.
There are several other dishes to be made this week and added to the mix, the jars or dishes take up much less space.  In the future I will buy only what I need and then cook it up before freezing.  I hope this works.  

Not much else is going on here.  I'm still cutting Trail Mix, I think I'm down to 600 2" squares and some miscellaneous replacement parts as there is one fabric I began with that I really don't like and Two sets of 4 patches that I don't like. I can only cut for about 30 minutes at a time before I lose accuracy.  I bought a couple of fat quarters at Quilters Station this week-I was afraid I wasn't going to have enough.  The fat quarters I began with are getting really small! Some really little stitches are being taken in the wee cross stitch.  Some housecleaning, regular boring stuff.

Since President Biden was sworn in I feel as if a tremendous burden has been lifted and I'm sleeping like a baby!  The last four years was an almost daily lie, near lie (The Washington Post said over 30,000), horrid behavior or insane tweets by 45 and it was exhausting.  Of course there will always be bickering between the parties (like siblings) but it's less exhausting.  

My county is still in Phase 1A for the vaccine, I have signed up and should be in Phase 1B but I think it will be March (or later) before they get around to me.  Even once I receive it there is risk and masks will be mandatory until most everyone is vaccinated.  I'm anxious to see my family in person-not only on ZOOM but I will stay the course.


8 comments:

  1. It certainly has been a trying time and I can understand how it is easy to get out of good habits. Good luck with your planned changes. Will you be zooming with us tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm glad you have recognised some changes that will make things better for you......it's hard to get motivated at times.....goodluck.....I often cook meals with spares so I don't have to cook at other times.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean by having to make changes... cooking is hard at the best of times! I love that idea of cooking up the bacon and freezing it.. will try that... stay safe xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like a great plan Gail. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good idea to cook ahead and freeze Gail, takes away that what do I have tonight problem!! Good to hare you are feeling lightnend. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds a good plan....hopefully light at the end of the dark tunnel for us all. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Smart plan on your meal making. I do cook up pots of soup and chili and freeze them in 2 cup containers. I also do the same with pots of rice. But I had never thought of bacon. Boy, I'll bet the house smells good for days!
    I look forward to a more dignified, earnest presidency with Biden!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ya, I get everything you are saying. I should walk more, but I don't. I try to eat right and it lasts a few days before I mess up again.

    My friend is doing what you are doing with the 1-2 serving jars. Cooking for oneself is just not fun.

    The bacon idea is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete