Pages

Thursday, October 8, 2020

12 years

 Twelve years ago today I wrote my first blog post.  I had only learned of blogging the month before and had been hitting the "Next Blog" button from my SIL's blog.

2008 was the year of the doctor.  My husband, Larry, had found a small lump in his thigh and after two needle biopsies and one open biopsy was diagnosed with. a pleomorphic liposarcoma.  A rare soft tissue cancer that is presumed by the Veteran's Administration to have been caused by exposure to Agent Orange while serving in Vietnam.

During the summer he had radiation to the site and at the end of summer they removed a tumor about the size of a small cantaloupe.  He spent days in the hospital. I spent days with him and each night I came home and made phone calls.  One to each of our children (except the one who lived with me) and one to each of his sisters and to his mother.  So six times I repeated the same message .  I was exhausted.

The last day in the hospital the drain in the wound fell out and a month later it had filled with so much fluid that it burst open the incision site-twice. Once in the doctors office while the doctor was in the room.  So, it was back to surgery to have the wound cleaned out and a new drain put in.  More phone calls.  

A CAT scan of his lungs was ordered and 16 tumors were found.  So Chemo was begun.  5 days in the hospital, two weeks off and repeat. More time with him at the hospital,  More phone calls.

That was when I decided to start a blog.  I sent everyone the address and said I would update them all via the blog rather than by phone calls.  That mostly worked-although sometimes they got impatient and called me!

There was more surgery, more chemo, more exhaustion for us all.  Then after two courses of chemo didn't work he said no more. By then it was 2009.  2009 was the year he was laid to rest at the Veteran's Cemetery and we began a new normal.

The blog helped me manage stress during all this and has become an important part of my life.  It helped me get out of my head and smile when smiling seemed pretty far away.  Reading blogs from all over the world has been amazing! I don't plan to quit even if sometimes it might be a while between posts!


5 comments:

  1. Blogs have many uses don't they. There is a world of friendships out there and much support.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a horrible time for you. So glad that blogging has helped you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, let me thank you for your husband’s service to his country. You both had to deal with so much. Blogging gave you an outlet and kept you connected. I have certainly enjoyed your posts as and when they come. Reach out any time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Gail........i'm so pleased you started blogging.....and I agree my blog has been a source of support at times also.......finding the good and positive and pretty mostly..........I do love blogging...it's different to the other social media platforms so I am pleased we can still do it even if blogger plays games and buggers things for us at times........Its must have been after your husband died that we backcame friends.......I don't remember anything of his health concerns and passing but I do know we have been friends for a long time now........and I love that we can now continue that sewing together on zoom also.......congrats on 12 years......its a long time to maintain your life.......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for that read Gail, just catching up on reading, am a couple weeks behind. Sorry for your loss, and don't stop blogging, it's a great way to 'meet' new friends. I did not start until 2011, so have a few years to go to catch up to you.

    ReplyDelete