I traveled enough that I expect glitches. This time the glitches started on the first day!
I left home at 3pm for the hour long trip to Kansas City International Airport as my first flight (to Chicago O'Hare) was to take off at 6:30. On the way up I got a message from United saying the flight was delayed until sometime after 7. Lucas dropped me off and I checked in, checked my bag -this Aussie purchase really gets around! Then there was security to get through, for some reason the buttons on the back of my shirt created an "anomaly" so I was wanded. The agent and I both laughed at buttons being the problem. Finally, having jumped through all the necessary hoops, I settled down with Jameson's and Sprite to cheer the beginning. Then went off to find the gate. A short while later our flight was delayed until 10:30 due to bad weather backing up everything in Chicago and Air traffic control only letting a few flights land was a time. My connecting Flight to Iceland was at 9:30. United couldn't get me on a flight until Wednesday--panic arrived. I went to get dinner and they announced that the flight would leave at 7:30. Well, all 15 of us got aboard and waited for clearance to take off. So, it was more like 8:30. It's a short flight to Chicago, as we landed and were taxing to the gate my flight to Iceland was taking off. So, I spent the night in a hotel without my checked luggage (I mean it was 10:30 before the person who was in charge of re-routing me could be found and yes I could get my checked bag if I wanted to wait a couple of hours. I did not want to wait. This would later come around to bite me.) A long wait for the hotel shuttle and I finally checked in at midnight without a full change of clothes, or my toothbrush and tennis shoes! I did ask for a late check out though. Most international flights are at night I was flying Icelandair this time, Once I checked in and had to check my carry on bag I still had a little time to kill. This flight was late arriving and late taking off but that doesn't matter. 5 1/2 hours laters I landed in Iceland-cramped and exhausted. After clearing Passport control--very long line, only 3 people working, I went to pick up my luggage. I found my carry on bag but not my big bag the one United at O-Hare assured me would be on the same flight with me, yeah right. Reported that and found out that it was still in Chicago-no surprise there. Picked up my rental car, another long line and long walk. It took a little while to figure out how to start it, where the windshield wipers and the headlights were before I could start to Reykjavik. Needless to say I missed the eclipse -not that anyone saw anything with all the rain and clouds. Checked into the Hilton and took a NAP. Tried to do some shopping but It was too much for me so I went back to the hotel bar and had Fish and Chips.
The Saga continues tomorrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment