Pages

Wednesday, November 16, 2022

On the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month.

 My latest outing was last Friday. Veterans Day here in the United States. It seemed appropriate to visit the National World War I Museum (aka the Liberty Memorial.)  Kansas City has the ONLY World War I museum in the country and it has become a HUGE repository of artifacts and archival materials associated with the war.

Read More about the Museum here

There is currently an exhibit on the POW's of WWI which I enjoyed.  They had it much better than POW's of any war since.  Although US troops did have to be reminded not to shoot surrendering opponents.


This map has a red dot for each known POW camp.  The number in Russia is not accurate but it is best guess.  There were camps on every continent!  Look at Australia and New Zealand!  The US only had 4 but Canada had quite a few more.

The museum was quite crowded  and I have been before so I did not spend much time in the main gallery.  It's a pretty impressive sight.  A full sized bomb crater, field artillery pieces, Red Cross ambulances both motorized and horse drawn.  Every uniform I could imagine.  This last picture I took for Janice and Mick!
WWI motorcycle.

I highly recommend a visit here if you are ever in Kansas City, Missouri!
I do think a less crowded day would be much more enjoyable!





4 comments:

  1. What a nice outing this was. I have always loved history. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am enjoying read about your weekly adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would have been really interesting. We have loads of WW1 memorials. Probably more than the other wars. I think quite a few of our camps were internment of foreign nationals that were considered a threat. Thanks for sharing the bike. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos, looks like an interesting day out. I was in Kansas City back in 2018, but only visiting the airport, which is we our tour group flew out of after a fun 2 weeks touring your country

    ReplyDelete