Pages

Tuesday, April 5, 2022

A Tale of Three Aprons

Number One
Short version,
with the exception of the elastic bits instead of ties I followed the pattern instructions.
Sew the front to its lining and back to its lining along all the sides and turn it right side out at the shoulders. Sew the shoulder seams.
Two things to say about that:  Much time spent basting the seams flat around the edges before I top stitched and stitching the front and back together at the shoulders was horrid.
Also the pattern did not adjust the pocket for size which meant more top stitching.
I made the large size as I am large.
It's too big.  
Anyway, inspire of everything it's cute and will keep my clothes clean so I will wear it.


 Number two.
Also the short version.
This one  I forgot the instructions and did it differently.
sewed the shoulder seams of both the front and the lining together , 
added the pocket, then bound it all around.
I'm not very good at the binding that you can sew down on the machine so I did it by hand.  
Without batting it was hard to keep the thread between the two layers.
It's still too big!


I got to thinking about why it was too big and realized that I am much thicker than I am wide.
Parts of me-across the shoulders etc-aren't any wider than when I was a skinny young thing!

Number Three
The long version.
Size small.

I made this one like the second one but sewed the binding down by machine.
This one is my favorite print and will keep my dresses clean.

Believe it or not I want to make some more!
Not just yet though.

Now, I just need to remember to put one on!


3 comments:

  1. I guess three times is a charm. Getting it right the first time is not really my thing when it comes to non quilty sewing.
    I love all three aprons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a cute print. Glad you finally had success, and that it was with your favorite of the three fabrics!
    I wear aprons every Sunday as I prepare and serve dinner for the family members who are close enough to gather, but I have never attempted to make my own. Kudos to you for staying with it until you found what worked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Third time lucky?
    I like aprons but like you need to remember to put one on..... Hence rarely wear one.....

    ReplyDelete