Pages

Tuesday, September 14, 2021

The "Farm"

Last Wednesday I picked up Ceili and drove to the "Farm."(That's two possibilities covered!) The "Farm" is only called the "Farm" because it once was a farm and to let you know they're not talking about their home in Columbia!  They have wild birds and some feral cats in the barn but raise no livestock and the only crops they grow are  some cucumbers and lots of weeds!  Right now they have a "Field" of ragweed-the hated plant of hay fever season!

While I was there I took the time to take some pictures!


The road in and out-note all the corn on the right side, that's not Scott's!  The trees on the left are his.

When you turn off the road this is the house-that's the front door and they never use it!
Quinn and I walked out to the pond and the east edge of their 5 acres.
About a million little frogs hit the water!
There is a great blue heron that visits the ponds now and again.  I really love seeing it.
Then I stood on the berm beyond the pond and took shots back west.
The house.

The barn and silo.


The detached garage, an old chicken coop (scheduled for demolition) and Ceili!
There are two other tumbling down buildings on the property also scheduled for demo.
On the way back we passed the "Whomping willow" (Thank you Harry Potter)

And the most perfect treehouse tree I've seen in a really long time!
Scott says no. I'm bummed.

I spent the days working on Ceili, pulling weeds and trimming trees.
It was hot! 
There isn't yet a 30 or 50 amp outlet so I couldn't run the Air conditioning- well, not if I wanted to also run the frig, the water pump, the lights you get the idea.  Fortunately, it cooled off nicely at night.  It doesn't always do that here.  Anyway, it wasn't too miserable.
I hardly touched a needle, didn't take my laptop out of the bag!
Read some until my Kindle died-I ordered a new one.  Life does not work for me without a Kindle.
Quinn had a very exciting time!  
She got stuck between the end of the mattress and the wall one night and had a really hard time getting out!  Now, she refuses to sleep on the bed!
Later that same day I was trimming a bush that kept hitting me in the head when I heard the pool water sloshing.  Then I couldn't find Quinn.
She had fallen into the pool!
All I saw was a little sheltie head above water!  She swims pretty good considering all that fur!
She couldn't have found her way out alone though it's an above ground pool and the same depth all over, very deep for her.  She turned toward my voice and I got a hold of her at the ladder and hauled her out!  Then she proceeded to roll in the grass and collect hundreds of sticker seed pods in all that long fur-she did not like having all of them combed out!
Other than that she likes the farm, outside, no leash required, roaming about and only barking a little.  
The night sky is amazing, the stars so clear as there is little light pollution.  It was lovely.

I'll leave you a couple of sky photos!












8 comments:

  1. looks like a nice spot to visit........cute house.........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely place, we all adore it! The house was built in 1906 and is charming if somewhat odd as it's been enlarged and remodeled in ways that leave you wondering. Still that little porch with the swing on it looking out toward the pond makes us all smile!

      Delete
  2. That is a lovely place, great looking house and wonderful view over the pond. I bet the frogs are super happy there. Thank goodness you heard Quinn! Beautiful night sky photos. Thanks for taking us with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a wonderful, restful place! Quinn didn't go near the pool again, in fact I blocked off the stairs she used to get to it~as much as she wanders about I didn't want to risk a second "Dip"!

      Delete
  3. It sounds like you had a wonderful time at the farm. Now I finally know what Ceili looks like. Poor Quinn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a great time plus finishing the major stuff in Ceili and pulling some weeds from the flower garden. Lots of times just sitting outside and enjoying the breeze and the quiet. Going home was a real downer!

      Delete
  4. Thank goodness you were close by to rescue Quinn. The farmhouse is gorgeous. We call it weatherboard here and whilst it’s more costly to maintain, it’s my favourite look for a home. That’s a perfect tree for climbing and all manner of imaginative play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quinn is just lucky that I keep an eye on her at all times! When she disappears it's so unusual that I begin looking and calling her-in the pool though she couldn't bark! The grands love the farm. Ryan attempts to catch some of the frogs and Izzy- the little daredevil she is - finds ways to disappear!

      Delete