Pages

Sunday, October 25, 2020

Camping!

Quinn and I set off last Monday on the last camping trip of the season.
I've been to Crowder State Park before but it's been several years-like 11!  Kolby was a 2 maybe 3 month old at the time.
It was cold and it rained.
That didn't change this time!
It was cold and it rained.
Not hard but miserable making to be outside.
Finally, on Wednesday morning we woke to blue skies!
So, I decided we'd take a drive into Trenton and then to Chillicothe.


I discovered this wonderful old building!  The local Library, in Trenton. 
Not much else that I wanted to investigate so back on Highway 65 southbound to Chillicothe.
I was there a few years ago to a little quilt shop called Cuts and Bolts and hoped it was still open!  It was!  So I had a wander and bought a few pieces of fabric possibly for next years Temperature quilt.  Or NOT, who knows at this point!
After that we hit Walmart, because it seems impossible for me to bring everything I want from home!
By the time I'd finished my shopping the blue sky was no more and it was raining, again.
I thought I'd take a less traveled road back to camp so we turned left onto highway 190.  It would have been a beautiful drive if it hadn't been raining!


The clouds were kissing the tops of the hills.  We went through Jamesport - which is an Amish community.  There are several such communities in Missouri, mostly because the land is less expensive here than back east.  There is also a fairly large community of "ex-Amish" in Columbia.  It is odd to see their buggies on the road and the horses in full harness tied up next to the buggy.
We returned to the camper, tired.
Thursday, again gave us blue skies so I took the camera out to take 'COLOR' photos!  I tried the lake but unlike the day before it was so bright that I only got WHITE photos (way overexposed even at the lowest setting.)


This little tree was well into the underbrush but so bright !


A bigger tree nestled between several cedar trees, that dark green really sets it off.


A close up of one branch.  I like this one a lot.
That day was the only day I sat outside to read and it got HOT.  In the 80'sF (30C) so I had to dig out the fan!  I did NOT resort to the air-conditioning though.  I'd had the trailers heater and a small electric heater going most of the week.  That night a storm blew in bringing lightening and thunder (Quinn was not impressed and at 3 am woke me for loves!)
The storm was ahead of a cold front and it was much colder, windy, and again, raining.
Friday was going home day so I packed up.
Emptying nearly everything out of it for the winter. 
Then gave it a good cleaning, hooked up and we set off.

I've often said that I would like to sell my house and live in the trailer just traveling around.  This weekend reminded me that it isn't much fun when the weather is crummy.
Quinn doesn't like it as there is no place for her to be out of the way.  She sighs heavily  and moves when I need to go past her.  
I'm sure I'll have Ceili for a while longer and will go out, but I don't think I'll live in it for long than a few weeks.

The cold front we met up at the campground came here as well and there is snow in the forecast for tonight (1-2 inches).  A bit early but it will only stick on the grass and overpasses and will only be around a day or two.  Winter comes.

 I'm going to go stitch.


 

10 comments:

  1. It is a shame you had such bad weather for your last camping trip of the season Gail. That library building is wonderful. You got some beautiful autumn colour photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missouri is a fickle weather state! Last time I was out it was so HOT I about melted, this time cold. It is what it is. I love old buildings, tumbling down barns, old decrepit school houses plus any kind of fancy stuff on any building. I have tons of photos of architectural things! The color here is odd, we mostly have oak trees which only turn brown, so the bright red and orange comes from trees that have been planted (or seeded from those.) There were some pretty ones.

      Delete
  2. bugger about the weather but so good that you got away for a few days...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though it's good to get away, both Quinn and I did the happy Zoomies when we got home!

      Delete
  3. How lovely that you managed to get away. OK so bad weather is not so good but if we did not have the change of weather we would all be pretty bored. Hope it didnt spoil your trip too much. At leas you found a nice shop! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a shame about the weather but it would have been so nice to be out and about with a change of scenery for a few days. Great that you squeezed in some shopping :-) and lovely autumn colour photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice to get away, and equally nice to come home! Shopping was nice came away with three 1-yard pieces!

      Delete
  5. It's sometimes good to experience the crummy weather to make us realise that home isn't so bad. I love the old library building. I also agree that the scenery looked fabulous. Just sad that the weather didn't play nice. Enjoy being snug back at home for the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved reading of your travels. Reminds me of my USA trip in 2018. We went to Jamesport and saw Amish country and then to Chillicothe and visited that quilt shop. It was the final quilt shop of that trip and I managed to spend some dollars there. We all had to buy extra suitcases for our trip home to bring all our purchases, so visited Wallmart to buy them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are quite the adventurer and we get to see places we not likely to ever have the chance to visit. That's a lovely photo you took. Wall worthy.

    ReplyDelete