Pages

Saturday, August 21, 2021

Thimbles and the final "doll" report

 The are the final three blocks for Izzy's "Paper Dolls" quilt.
I confess I made the tree design myself as I did not really like the one that came with the patterns-I did make it, then I threw it away.  Artistic license.
Now I'm waiting until the sashing fabric arrives-probably sometime next week- before I can work on it more.
I even took them down off the design wall.

Yesterday, was another wonderful  ZOOM chat with the Chookshed Stitchers!  Thank you Chooky-such fun as always.  It's really too bad that I can't stay up all night and party.
I should have stayed longer last night as a severe thunderstorm blew in and there was no sleep to be had.  This morning I had the thought that I should just have gotten up and gone back to the party.

I stitched together another row for my Civil War Sampler, made a hexie flower and worked on tumblers.
I don't think I explained the whole crazy tumbler idea well so I'm gonna give it a try here.

These are photos of the inspiration quilt.
I saw it at the Rocky Mountain Quilt Museum in Golden, Colorado.
I was a bad visitor-I didn't photograph the maker information-although there might not have been any.
A close up. You'll notice there is no quilting!


And the full quilt-
this reminds me of confetti!


I stood and looked at this for a LONG time. 
 I just couldn't figure out the design.  
I came to the conclusion that it was totally random.

There is no way I could duplicate this on even a small scale so I came up with the tumblers.
This at least recreates the 1/4" fabric pieces showing.
I cut many 3/4 inch strips of fabric.

This box is what I have left,
I sew the strips together and wind them on toilet paper rolls.
I did that to the blue yesterday.
Then I took 4 strips of old phone book paper cut as wide as the tumbler ruler and began sewing the strips with 1/4" seams.  Leaves 1/4" showing, well sometimes a bit more sometimes less.  


This is the first time I've done four papers at once, I just butted the ends together and kept going.  When the paper was covered
 I turned the strip over and used the ruler and a marker to make the tumblers and cut them apart so I had these.

They were added to the tin with all of these-

Just for you Janet-there are 376 tumblers!
I'll be making more tomorrow.
At some point I'm going to have to think about sewing them together!
Also for Janet-the quilt museum in Lincoln is the International Quilt Museum-they have a fun email every month with a quilt from their collection.


Here's another insane Idea quilt I say at Golden.  These half square triangles were TINY!
Anyone want to try it?
Not me.











 

13 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing the dolls come together.....
    LoL it got the better of you. You had to see how many blocks you have made..... They do look bigger in the picture then when you showed us on zoom......I really like it.... And the one you got inspiration from OMG.. .
    I'm sure Janet might try those tiny triangles.....
    So good to see you again on zoom..... You should have got to early we were probably still on...... It was a new record...,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Also, thank you again for the Zoom chat!

      Delete
    2. Thank you! Also, thank you again for the Zoom chat!

      Delete
  2. What a stunning quilt and I love your idea of using tumblers to replicate it, ingenious! Not sure where the phone book paper comes in to it though. Am thinking this would be a great way to use selvedges - my project for next years RSC. Looking forward to following your progress.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The paper gives all the little strips stability and makes for a good way to mark it for trimming. I'm sure I'll be cursing it when I'm removing it all!

      Delete
  3. Wow! What incredible quilts. Your version is certainly a labour of love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you-I don't think it will in anyway resemble the original but I'm good with that!

      Delete
  4. Love your paper dolls Gail. I think I understand the tumblers a bit better now..not keen to be making all those tiny half square triangles though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you the Dolls have been a fun project-surprisingly not at all frustrating! I have no intention of making all though little triangles either!

      Delete
  5. That’s a cute Christmas tree. Izzy is going to love her quilt that’s for sure. My goodness, that Confetti quilt is amazing and so are your tumbler blocks. I’m really excited to see this quilt come together. Hopefully the storm didn’t do too much damage, if any. What I’m seeing on the news doesn’t look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm pleased with the way everything Paper Dolls has turned out-especially since I wasn't sure I could do it. The tumblers have been an on-going project what they call a WISP but eventually it will turn into something. The storm didn't do any damage here-that I know of and certainly not at my house. I just have a nervous dog when it storms like that so no sleep until it passes. The hurricane and the storms in Tennessee look really bad. My Tennessee kids are ok though.

      Delete
  6. Some good looking projects there, looking forward to seeing the dolls put together, and your tumbler project looks interesting. Sorry no HST from me either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The dolls are still a work in progress and still fun. Blessed Be.

      Delete