Pages

Sunday, November 26, 2023

Shipshewana: Stitching, Shopping, and Eating!

The doors to our sewing room-there are three- didn't open until 10am on Tuesday so the four of us went "Window Shopping."  Chris said we couldn't buy anything so of course a couple of fabrics just REALLY wanted to come home with me!  I didn't buy anything that day.  Once we got in and the machines etc set up we headed out for dinner at the 5 & 20.  It's at the intersection of highways 5 and 20-I think its a clever name.  The food was good and the pie was really good.

Wednesday after breakfast we went shopping for real-we could buy things and I did!


Well, I bought the four pieces on the left that day-the precuts were once a jelly roll I just didn't get a picture of it all rolled up and I bought it on Friday.

After shopping we went back to stitching.  I was working on this


A little bargello Christmas tree.  It's not finished yet as I have add some beads for sparkle and that requires a trip to Joann's (oh darn !)  This was more labor intensive than I expected and created a lot of waste.
Wasted time, wasted effort, wasted fabric!

I'm going to try to figure out a way to use that wasted fabric!

I wanted to work on turtles and had brought my gummed up iron but I couldn't plug it into the surge protector as they caused the power to go out and hadn't brought a cover  for the ironing board so -o-o I worked on this cross stitch piece.


Until, I found I had at least one mistake and my eyes were too tired to go on.
Then I made hexies.

Friday, Chris and I went shopping but not for fabric.  She was buying gifts and some things for the new sunroom addition.  I bought a little chicken teapot!

We also met up with Hanne from the Chookshed Stitchers and Norway !
How cool is that?!

So what are the odds that quilters from Norway, Canada and the US will be together in one place at the same time!
We also met up with Gretchen whose work I've admired for quite a while now.

I had a blast!  I was a bit unsure about it -this was only my 2nd quilt retreat! It was great fun though.

The only thing is---I brought WAY to much stuff to work on!  I packed several small projects and a couple of bigger ones thinking I'd have most of 5 days for stitching.  I didn't think about the fact that there would be SHOPPING!











8 comments:

  1. How fantastic to catch up with Hanne and Chris. I’m sure your projects will get done eventually. How bout using the green up with a small border around your Christmas tree. Then the white again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh so happy to hear of your shipshewana trip...how wonderful to meet hanne too....retreats are always wonderful aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you had a great time at your retreat. Fun to catch up with Chris again and extra fun for you both to meet Hanne. Your Christmas Tree is going to look fantastic. BTW, you have to take too
    many projects so you can pick and choose. Imagine running out of things to work on……as if ….LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your tree does look lovely though shame about the waste - it would annoy me too. Lovely to meet up with friends from afar! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful for you quilters to be able to meet up, great fabric and I love your Christmas tree.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good that you met with Hanne, odds not as good as all the internationals at Barradine!?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now this was such a treat to see you three together in a photo! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always pack way to much to take on retreats so thats ok......esp when your driving yourself........so wonderful that your both got to meet Hanne and I love the pic of your all together.........and what a bonus to meet Gretchan.......I also follow her blog........

    ReplyDelete