Pages

Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Veteran's Day

The only World War I Museum in the States.

Here in the States there isn't much going on for Memorial Day. 
While the Museum is open they don't seem to have any events planned for this year.
Last year they had a big event.
As far as I know I had no family members serve in World War I.
I once asked my Granddad Hickam why he didn't serve.
He said that he was in town (Rich Hill, Missouri) waiting for the train into Kansas City to enlist but when the train came in it carried the news of peace so he turned around and went home.  He was pretty young as well-then too old for World War II.

In other things,
I am on the LAST snowman on Izzy's stocking! I think I'll have it ready to hang Saturday!
The hash tag quilt is too BIG!  I have to take off a couple of rows before I can add the borders.
There are left over blocks-probably enough for a small quilt.
I'm sewing the sashing on the big blocks-only I didn't buy enough yellow!
Oh darn, I have to go back to the Quilt shop.
There are leftover big blocks-four of them will go into a cute pillow for Ceili, the others? 
Think I will have to begin a quilt of orphan blocks!
No yellow flip-flops have been sewn.
You'll notice that I haven't worked on anything except RSC quilt tops.  This is why I won't do any next year.  Keeping up with them means no other sewing gets done!
The house is clean,
The yard work finished,
I'm practicing my instruments (piano and guitar),
Reading non-fiction and
Quinn and I have been walking every day.
Staying busy in a sort of relaxed manner.

 

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lot of good things to do, and a reminder that i need to do some walking. I have a piano that I played when I was young, but has been sadly been untouched for a long time now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took piano lessons off and on as a child and again as an adult. I practice in spurts and I will never be a concert pianist but I do enjoy it.

      Delete
  2. You sound like you are doing so well with everything buttoned up, cleaned, time to relax and read. I need that kind of life. You go girl!
    I cannot believe you almost have that stocking done. You must stitch quite a bit daily in between all that cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hate cleaning but I hate having messes even more and if I just do it a bit every day and again every week I can stay out of the clutter! I work on the cross stitch every evening while listening to TV until my eyes get tired, but it seems to be an easy design.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you are very organised! Enjoy your relaxed busyness. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to be organized but it seems like something is always causing a derailment!

      Delete
  4. We have Remberence Day here in Aus and in NZ, where we stop at 11am and have a minutes silence. I don't think much happened here either because of the virus. My maternal grandfather went to fight in WW1 but got sick on the way over and was sent home. A friends father got gassed in the trenches and had bad lung trouble for the rest of his life. Good to hear your yard is all done, sounds like you are having enjoyable days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems that many of our old traditions have just stopped being important, the Museum tries to keep WWI alive and is a lovely place to visit.

      Delete
  5. That’s fascinating. Although the States entered the war late, their entry definitely helps to bring it to a conclusion. It’s quite a brutal piece of architecture.i think Grandad Hickam was lucky to have missed it. Fantastic progress on the stocking. You are powering through.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was worse than WWII I think with all the gas and trenches. The museum has a full size "Trench" that you can walk through-it must have been horrible. I don't think my Grandad would have made a very good soldier and it was lucky he didn't have to go.

    ReplyDelete